Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Junior User Experience Strategist is a specialized role that works under supervision of the Implementation and User Experience Lead and is focused on researching, designing and delivering best in class interaction design and user experiences to facilitate a cohesive citizen centric experience across channels and adheres to quality content standards to ensure the delivery of a one-city, citizen-centric approach that supports the organization’s overall business objectives and corporate digital strategy.
The position reports to the Digital Channels Implementation and User Experience lead within the Digital Channels.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Applies user-centered design processes and industry best practices to guide best in class digital experiences for all screen sizes and types that holistically solve customer and business challenges
- With support of User Experience Lead and Digital User Experience Strategist, designs, develops, documents, debugs, tests, supports and sustains the user interface to have the best possible user experience, and makes the user interaction simple, efficient and consistent while ensuring that accessibility and performance are considered
- Assists on designing tools such as wireframes, prototypes, concept maps, mockups, user flows, and storyboards in conjunction with developing the final design specs that will be used by developers during development process. Under supervision of User experience Lead or partnered with Digital User Experience Strategist
- Makes recommendations on design iterations as needed
- Supports style guides and standards developed for the City through their project engagements, advising, and documentation (Design Style Guide, Content Style Guide, Accessibility standards etc.)
- Supports Digital User Experience Strategist in rapid user testing activities
- Conducts secondary research activities (heuristic/expert/competitive reviews) to assess and optimizes the performance of new and existing features
- Supports interpretation of results of usability testing, user research and web analytics data to uncover insights and identify gaps
- Articulates, develops and models the end user experience including the visual design of the application, to make user interaction simple, efficient and consistent
- Makes recommendations to managers for operational improvements such as switching order of steps or renaming fields/elements.
- Researches and explores ideas by brainstorming, collecting and analyzing statistics, and sketching options
- Develops storyboard process to communicate user experience visions to stakeholders.
- Assists business owners to choose a design that is best suited for business challenges
- Evangelizes value of user centered design to business and stakeholders and training other Digital Channels team members on the value of UX and sharing methodologies to help resolve problems
- Designs innovative, mobile friendly, and responsive digital products and services
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
Completion of a certificate program in web technology plus sound related experience, including CSS3 and HTML5 and experience working with UX prototype tools such as Figma, Balsamiq, Axure, Illustrator or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of Web Accessibility Standards and best practices
- Working knowledge of UX methodologies
- Working knowledge of UX prototyping tools
- Experience with responsive, cross-browser, and web app design using agile and iterative design processes.
- Ability to communicate UX requirements effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to source and use industry best practices in UX and interface design
- Ability to work with business analysts, graphic designers, developers, and quality assurance team members to communicate UX requirements and ensure they reflect in the products that meet business needs
- Ability to use UX methodologies to interpret and adapt as situations and problems arise
- Ability to recognize opportunities to improve business processes related to customer experience
- Ability to remain up-to-date on digital products and service opportunities, UX best practices, and UX solution options
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-023: $37.12 to $43.82 per hour
Application Close: January 21, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.