Apple has made iOS 16.2 beta 2 available to Developer program members. This updated operating system version includes the following features.
After several months of beta testing, Apple released iOS 16 to the public in September. This fantastic iPhone update includes advanced Lock Screen customizations, Live Activities, Messages, Mail improvements, and more. On October 24, the company seeded the stable iOS 16.1, which included some of the missing features, such as iCloud Shared Photo Library and other enhancements.
After iOS 16.1, Apple has begun actively working on the upcoming iOS 16. X release. iOS 16.2 beta 2 is now available to all registered developers worldwide. Users who have registered and activated their beta profile can download and install this build immediately. Here’s a rundown of what’s new in iOS 16.2 beta 2.
What’s new in iOS 16.2 beta 2
iOS 16.1 added support for the Live Activity API. This enables apps to send out persistent notifications with timely information. iOS 16.2 beta 2 adds the ability to enable more frequent updates. This allows an app to refresh the content of a Live Activity more frequently. Enabling this toggle will, as expected, drain your battery faster.
5G support in India
Apple recently announced it would enable 5G support on compatible iPhones in India via a future software update. This functionality is finally available in iOS 16.2 beta 2, allowing users to enjoy faster internet.
New Medications widgets
Two new Medications Lock Screen widgets are included in iOS 16.2 beta 2. These allow users to access or view their medication reminders quickly.
We’re still working our way through on the new iOS. We will update this article as we discover new features or visual changes. In the meantime, check out Apple’s official Release Notes, which highlight known bugs, fixes, and tweaks.
Apple Freeform app
The Freeform app is available in iOS 16.2 beta 1. For unfamiliar people, Apple teased this productivity app during WWDC22 in June. Consider it a blank canvas on which to unleash your creativity and plan. It allows you to insert text, doodles, media, and files, among other things. You can create the ultimate brainstorming thought web this way. Obviously, iOS 16.2 beta 1 contains bugs, such as the inability to delete boards while offline. However, you can expect the company to fix the major issues in subsequent beta releases before the update is released publicly later this year.
See Also; Apple iPhone 14 Pro Review: The Dynamic Island
iOS 16.2 beta 1 includes an improved Apple Home architecture upgrade. However, all paired HomePods must be running version 16.2. You cannot begin the upgrade if your HomePod(s) runs an earlier version.
Apple Music tweaks
Apple has changed the Lossless tag on the Music app’s Now Playing screen. Compared to the previous UI, those running iOS 16.2 beta 1 will notice a more rectangular, opaque border.
New Sleep widget
iOS 16.2 beta 1 includes a new Lock Screen widget for tracking sleep-related information. It is based on the information stored in the Apple Health app.
iOS 16.1 Changelog
iCloud Shared Photo Library
- Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people
- Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on the start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library.
- Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Library, or both libraries together
- Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favorite, caption, and delete photos
- The Sharing toggle in Camera allows you to choose whether to send photos directly to the Shared Library or to enable an option to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby via Bluetooth.
- For iPhone 14 Pro models, Live Activities from third-party apps are available on the Dynamic Island and Lock Screen.
- Apple Fitness+ is supported on iPhone even if you don’t have an Apple Watch
- Key sharing allows you to securely share car keys, hotel room keys, and other keys in Wallet via messaging apps like Messages and WhatsApp.
- Apple Card customers can grow their Daily Cash by depositing it in a high-yield savings account.
- Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported by enabling various smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems.
Clean Energy Charging
- New setting that can try to reduce your carbon footprint by selectively charging when lower carbon emission electricity is available
- Reader controls are automatically hidden as you start reading
This update also includes bug fixes for your iPhone:
- Deleted conversations may appear in the Messages conversations list.
- When using Reachability, Dynamic Island content is not available.
- When using a VPN app, CarPlay may fail to connect.
Read more; Apple Watch SE: Everything We Know So Far
How do I get iOS 16.2 beta 2?
Beta users can update to iOS on their iPhone and iPad by going to the Settings app, selecting General, and then Software update.
What is new in iOS 16?
Apple confirmed recently that the next beta of iOS 16.2 would include 5G support for India, and this appears to be the case. Several users in India have reported a new 5G toggle, though some have had trouble activating it. The camera is one of the major improvements in this update.
Is it worth downloading the iOS 16 beta?
Although downloading and installing iOS 16.1 is simple, developer beta versions aren’t intended for general use, especially because they may contain unfinished features and bugs that make the iPhone difficult to use. Certain iPhone apps may not fully function with iOS 16.1.
Is iOS beta 16 stable?
The iOS 16 beta has its share of issues. This isn’t surprising given that it’s unfinished software, and Apple’s pre-release software is notorious for having bugs and poor performance.
Which iOS 16 features have you found the most useful, and why? Let us know in the comments section below.