Permanent Full Time
We’re bold, creative, pushing boundaries, sparking innovation and creating the extraordinary on the daily. Still living the dream that brought a couple of university grads together in 1972. It’s that entrepreneurial spirit, that passion that drives us to find new paths for some of the most recognized brands in the world. We are an eclectic collective with multifaceted expertise, who act locally for global impact. We take risks. We empower. We go beyond.
Being unique is something to be celebrated. We embrace differences. They allow us to challenge and learn from each other. The extraordinary comes from different experiences, different lives. It brings us closer. We speak 37 languages, have over 360 tattoos, compete in sports and give back to the community. All of this makes us one big team—and we like it that way.
We’re on the lookout for someone unique. A person with drive, passion and energy to create something great. As a Back-End Web Developer, you will be responsible for helping the development team build advanced web solutions for a variety of clients. This position focuses on programming a wide range of back-end software systems. The ideal candidate will be an expert at server side web development, and be ready to take on software design challenges that push far beyond the requirements of the typical website. If you are passionate about web development, and software engineering in general, this position will offer you many unique and challenging opportunities.
- Develop fast, flexible, and well-designed web services to power consumer facing websites
- Build efficient data sharing systems, involving internal and external API’s & services
- Design high performance database schemas, and write efficient SQL
- Analyze technical specification documents and build integrations to match
- Evaluate sources of technical data, photos, and videos, and create new web services to expose them
- Support front-end developers by building required server-side components, and designing clear API’s
- Work closely with analysts and dev-ops personnel to continuously add new features and refine existing systems.
- Expert knowledge of PHP & SQL
- Experience with REST, JSON, and SOAP/XML based web services
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming, and software architecture concepts
- Experience with revision control systems such as GIT
- Solid understanding of Apache, Mysql, and Linux web hosting environments
- Good code testing & debugging skills, with a strong attention to detail
- A positive and professional attitude, strong personal organization skills, and the ability to work within a diverse team environment
Nice to have
- Experience with the rust programming language
- Experience with PHP or Python frameworks, such as Laravel, Django
- Experience with front-end web development
- Familiarity with JS, CSS, and build & automation tools
- Familiarity with network architecture, hosting infrastructure, and database replication
- Experience or interest in the following would also be considered an asset: automotive industry, intranet and CRM applications
What’s in it for you.
- The chance to work at an innovative, award winning agency.
- We know when to work hard and play hard.
- We work in a space where our creative minds run free.
- We have each other’s back, through thick and thin.
- Our clients trust and believe in creativity.
- You’ll find yourself challenged to go beyond your comfort zone.
- The hours are flexible and you get generous time off during the winter holidays.
Things you should know.
- We’re humbled by the number of talented people who apply to work with us every day. And we thank each and every one of you. Truly.
- If you have sent us your resume, we have received it.
- We’ll reach out directly to those we’d like to meet for an interview.
- Creating meaningful work means embracing different perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on age, colour, ability, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. Not only are these provisions protected by provincial and federal law, embracing difference is what makes Cossette what it is—and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
- We pride ourselves on our inclusive and accessible workplace. If you need any accommodations during the interview process to make it work for you, let us know.