Full Job Description
Applicants seeking short-term or part-time work with the University of Hawai’i may apply for Casual Hire positions, which include administrative, professional, and technical (APT) or instructional-type positions. Because of the temporary nature of these appointments, Casual Hire employees are not eligible for most benefits as provided to regular BOR and Civil Service employees (i.e. paid holidays/leave). Casual Hire appointments may last for up to 89 days for full-time employees, and up to 1 calendar year for part-time employees.
Working Title: Academic Support, Inbre Lab Tech (Microbiology Lab)
Position Number: Casual Hire
Hiring Unit: Math & Science Department
Location: Kapi‘olani Community College
Date Posted: June 9, 2022
Closing Date: June 14, 2022
Salary: Flat Fee $6,000
Schedule: 19/hours per week (not to exceed 3 months)
Continuation is dependent on satisfactory performance, program needs, and renewal of funds.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain cell lines (thaws stock, conducts quality control such as mycoplasma testing and growth curves, cell cloning, cryopreservation).
- Prepares media and other sterile develops and conducts ELISA, SDS-PAGE western blot and other antibody tests on hybridoma supernatant.
- Purifies antibodies by standard fractionation and chromatography techniques.
- Immunizes mice for antibody production
- Helps train and supervise undergraduate student researchers
- PhD from an accredited college or university in Biomedical Sciences or related field with coursework in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Bacteriology and Virology
- Experience with tissue culture, mice procedures, DNA/RNA extraction, quantitative PCR, ELISA, SDS-PAGE western blotting and protein purification.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED (Read the “To Apply” section carefully)
Click on the “Apply” button on the top right corner of the screen to complete an application and attach the required documents. In addition to the Application, applicants must attach the following:
- The names and contact information (telephone number and email addresses) of at least three professional references; and
- Official transcript(s) showing degree and coursework to date appropriate to the position ( copies of official transcripts are acceptable; however, original official transcripts will be required at the time of hire.) Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from an agency having membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc., verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. Expense of the evaluation shall be borne by the applicant.
Transcripts must be attached to receive credit for degree(s).
- On-line transcripts or academic record/grade summaries will NOT be accepted.
- Diplomas and copies will NOT be accepted.
- Unofficial transcripts will NOT be accepted.
Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.
NOTE: If you have not applied for a position before using NEOGOV, you will need to create an account.
Inquires: Amy Yamashiro, Department Chair for Math and Science Department, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO/AA, Clery Act, ADA
The University of Hawai’i is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran. For more information or inquiries regarding these policies, please refer to the following link: http://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/eeo-coordinators/
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawai’i may be viewed at: https://www.hawaii.edu/titleix/help/campus-security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
Accommodation Request: The University of Hawai’i complies with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the EEO coordinator directly. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. For further information, please refer to the following link: https://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/accommodation-request/
Kapi’olani Community College does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, color, national origin, or disability in its programs and activities.